[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Is the Gemidis worth it?

Welcome Willie!

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Willie Carr wrote:

> I am a senior in high school, and i was
> wondering if the Geminds is worth getting up at midnight, staying up
> till dawn, and then go to school the next day,

You don't have to stay up until dawn.  The Geminid radiant is highest in
the sky around 2h local time, but is sufficiently high in the sky
for you to see a good display in the few hours before midnight.  The
best night will be December 13/14, but with the fickle weather try
a night either side of that.

> see a meteor shower.  I know i will have a good viewing spot, because i
> live on a farm away from all city lights.  But can i expect good
> observations from this shower, or should i wait until a better one comes
> along?

With a dark site near maximum you could see about 100 meteors per hour.
The Geminid shower at present is the best of the regular annual showers.
So if it's clear this weekend or early next week, wrap up well in many
layers and sleeping bag, and enjoy nature's fireworks.

Malcolm