[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Is the Gemidis worth it? (Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #221)

>Even if you're out west, the Geminids are worth it, and my gut feeling
>is they'll be better than ever this year. All these fireballs people
>are seeing lately aren't coming from nowhere. Maybe a tip-off to an
>upcoming show???

Of course we all HOPE the Geminids will put on a great show this year - as they
generally do in dark-moon years, or even better! But I haven't heard of any
predictions one way or the other about higher rates or more fireballs from the
GEMs this year. Also, I really doubt the rate of fireballs over the past few
weeks has been any higher than normal - far more likely, the enhanced attention
to meteors in general from Leonid press coverage has enhanced the number of
fireball REPORTS noted, both here and in other venues.

Anyways, any fireballs seen before the last day or two were NOT related to the
Geminids, as the earth is only now swinging well into the particular river of
interplanetary dust associated with the GEMs. Still, don't let any of this
reduce your excitement about the Geminids' peak - it IS a worthy show!

Clear skies,
Lew