[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: UT for Geminids?

As usual, Bob Lunsford concisely stated the key point on the Geminids:
get out and observe ALL THREE NIGHTS 12-15 Dec, from moonset onward!

One nit to pick (I know you love when I do this, Bob!):

>concerned with which DAY is best to observe. The Geminids will produce
>the most activity between moonset and 0300 local time for EVERYBODY
>located ANYWHERE! The best night to watch will most likely be December
>13/14 followed closely by the 14/15.

For those in certain longitudes and latitudes, it seems - particularly
those in the tropics and Southern Hemisphere - 12/13 Dec *MAY* actually
be better than 14/15 Dec - especially if Norman's statement about rapid
rate fall-offs after the GEM peak is correct. In Singapore for example,
the Geminid radiant is only just culminating at 3am local time!

And of course one thing is for sure: if you decide to skip a clear night
on 12/13 Dec, you are tempting the Cloud Gods to hand you a disappointment
on the later nights 13/14 and 14/15 Dec... Take it from an observer under
the Murky Pond of New England weather - don't tempt fate! Get out on any
clear night early next week! :)

Clear skies all,
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: