[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Bolide booms

MSNBC reported:

And David Cross wrote:
>>>I'd assumed that the loud noises reported were sonic booms.

And Robert Verish responded:
>David, I think your assumption is more correct.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure on this one myself... I've always heard
non-simultaneous meteor sounds called "sonic booms", but based on my
recollections from the literature, both explanations DO seem plausible!

Would anybody with a better handle on the meteor physics (or a copy of
D W R McKinley handy) care to comment on this question??

Clear skies,
Lew