[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meterors of long ago...

Hello all,

My name is Bob Jackson in Hampton, NH---just joined the list and can see
that everyone is interested and enthusiastic about our stony and iron
visitors from space.

I spend a lot of time peering into the sky with binoculars and the ole'
1977-78 Astroscan has served me well, too.

Our best sky here is an area that stretches from the NNE into the SE -- so
the east sky in general is good - thanks to the Atlantic.

In keeping with the spirit of the the coming meteroric events, here is the
thinking of  times gone by, and a quote from Kiddle's New Elementary
Astronomy, pub. in 1871:

p.226, in ref. to a fireball that was witnessed in 1859 between 9 and 10 am
and its disappearance on the east coast followed by several terrific
explosions--"Some of these meteors have been supposed to pass the earth,
moving away into space; others to revolve in an orbit around it, becoming
small satellites. A French astronomer assigns to one of the latter a period
of revolution of 3 hours and 20 minutes, and a distance from the earth of
5,000 miles."

Well, I suppose if one figures his distance to include the earth`s
radius......?    {8-|
Interesting anyway.

Bob Jackson
----