[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Looking for historic showers

As an amateur genealogist, I have come across a reference to a night "when
the stars fell" back in the first two decades of the 19th century.  I would
like to know if anybody has come across records or references to a
particularly dense meteor shower in that time frame.  Given that the
reference was to a wagon train, I would assume that it was in the earlier
part of the year or in August.

I have read somewhere, can't remember where, that there was a particularly
strong meteor shower in the 1870's or 1880's such that there were hundreds
of meteors per hour.  I would presume that what I am looking for is
something like that, but in the 1800 to 1820 era, particularly around 1810
to 1818.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Kinter D. Bernard, Jr.
kinter2@hotmail.com