[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: REPOST 1996 2 pre-max Geminid nights

Kim mentioned some good numbers from the Sigma Hydrids.  Here is a repost
from about the same period in 1996 for comparison when I also had a good
Sigma Hydrid hour.  These dates would correspond to 1999 dates a night
later.  Delta Arietids are a slow shower from Aries with conspicuous
meteors, best seen early in the night with rates 0 to 2/hr.

... begin repost :

 The last two nights before Geminid max I never had time to report on until
now.  1996 Dec 10/11 I observed 1226 - 348 EST (526  -848 UT), a total of
3:22 hours with 85 meteors seen in LM7.3 sky.  Geminids for the first 3 full
hours were 14,22,13; but Sigma Hydrids went 2,3,6.  That last hour had 4 of
the first 6 meteors as Sigma Hydrids.  A quick pair came at mid-hour, and I
thought something big was coming, perhaps 10 in an hour?  But that was it --
the second half of the hour was dead.  A couple of other times in the past I
have had a Sigma Hydrid rate of 6, and never have reached 7.  This is the
strongest minor shower I've seen in recent years quite consistently.  Other
meteors seen in the full session include 2 more Geminids, 2 Monocerotids, 1
Chi Orionid, 2 Coma Berenicids, 2 Puppid-Velids, 2 December Leonids,  1
CB/DL, and 12 sporadics.  The last one mentioned projected back to both Coma
Berenicid and December Leonid radiants.  Sporadics were rather skimpy but
typical for the hours ; they get better the last 2 hours.  The brightest
meteor was a yellow -4 Monocerotid at 636 UT with a 10-second train; I don't
recall seeing a Monocerotid this bright previously.

The next night, Dec 11/12, I did 3:42 hours for 151 meteors in LM7.3 sky,
1126 - 308 EST (426 - 808 UT).  In the first 3 full hours Geminids were
26,44,41.  Other meteors were 11 more Geminids, 7 Sigma Hydrids, 4
Monocerotids, 3 Chi Orionids, 2 Coma Berenicids, 2 Delta Arietids, and 11
sporadics.  Three -2 Geminids were the best : two yellow, and one blue with
1-second train.

The Geminids have no definite peak, but the maximum rates last a full day so
everyone can see these every dark year.  I consistently see top rates in the
low 80's no matter when any "exact peak" occurs.

...end repost.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor