[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) back to hypothetical meteor

I've been playing a little with Jim's example of a 2nd mag. meteor burn.
Entry burn begins at about 104 km alt and ends at 85 km. If I may shift the path for the second observer to pass thru his zenith, then we are looking at a difference (line of sight) of about 30 km between the two observers (Obs. A 125 km - Obs. B 95 km). Applying the inverse square law for light sources, for Observer A the meteor is only 57% as bright as seen by Obs. B. The equivalent mag reduction is .6 mag.  Also atmospheric extinction effects are reduced (to zero I presume for Obs. B) and the net result is in the ballpark of a full magnitude. This is merely a point of interest unless some photographers (Obs. A & B) are trying to do some triangulation work to get exact paths.
The basic execution of the triangulation method to which I had been introduced did not worry about this variable. If any of you have been involved in this type of work I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this aspect and your experiences at capturing this type of data.

Tom