[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Activity for December 11-17

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Harrison <ko0u@os.com>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 1999 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Activity for December 11-17

> At 08:15 AM 1999-12-11 -0500, you wrote:
> >This is a great posting Mr. Bob!  Keep up the great work and hope you and
> all our observers see loads of Geminids!!
> >         In Meteor Observing Affinity - Felix A. Martinez
>
> I echo that; and I also reposted it (minus e-mail addresses) to three ham
> radio reflectors for the "ping jockeys", as radio meteor-scatter
> enthusiasts are known.
>
> SteveH
> Shrewsbury MA
True....and even tho much meteor-scatter radio work is in the lower VHF part
of the spectrum, try locking your VHF receiver or weather radio onto a NWS
station channel, or an FM radio to a frequency setting, that is normally
silent in your area. Try this during the Geminids....and with you while
viewing the sky if possible.  You may hear a sudden and brief burst of
activity on that otherwise silent spot on the dial - and it may coincide
visually with a meteor and its tail that you can see.

Any of this, of course, will be dependent on angle of incident, direction,
and event duration.

Bob Jackson
---