[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Gems sluggish from Sicily

Greetings to all,
    I managed about an hour and ten minutes of
marginal Teff this morning from "The Island of
Overcast" here in the central Med.  My site was from
up on "The Piano" on Mt. Etna and I must say I was a
bit disappointed by the Gems all told. I had
considerable interference from large patches of cirrus
clouds the entire session, but still had enough clear,
dark sky areas to keep me going.  Rates for the Gems
seemed barely 20 an hour as best as I could judge.
Conditions worsened after this period so I packed it
in.  The data:

Dec 12/13, 1999 Location:  Piano Provenzana, Mt. Etna,
Sicily  Facing: SW  CFOV: Alpha Tauri

0040 - 0150 UT z.s. var (5.5 - 6.5) 30% cirrus clouds
21 Geminids  1 Dec Mono 1 Chi Ori  6 spor  29 total

The Geminids:  Two were zero mag and one of these was
vivid yellow, two others were 1st mag., all others
faint.  No trains.  Nothing really sensational, they
would seem to have a LOT of picking up to do!  I will
try again tonight, weather permitting (Ha Ha!).  Hope
the rest of you did better then I did!!  Ciao, Paolo