[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NWM1999Dec 12/13 Geminids Florida

A tongue of clear air came up over SW Florida from Cuba yesterday afternoon,
and most of the night was clear.  Geminids were increasing in my last hour
to the expected level.  A bit short of it earlier -- perhaps I was running
early on the activity curve.  Full hours 1126 - 426 EST  (426 - 926 UT) I
recorded 28,29,25,X,39 Geminids , all sky LM7.3.  The fourth hour was
partly/mostly cloudy, junk it.  The last hour had a break of 8 minutes to
another passing cloud group.  There were two  -5m Geminids, one intensely
blue, the other white-blue-green.  Joan was with me and saw much of the
action.  She wants to go again tonight.  Mosquitoes got rather active after
4 AM so she stayed under the blankets.  She gets cold easily so was bundled
up -- I was all right in shorts with one sheet for cover -- it was in low
60'sF.  Should be the same tomorrow night.  A warm Geminid year but colder
weather is on its way.

Tonight could be iffy with a cold front approaching but the southern end of
it is weak.  I was wiped out for max night the past 2 years but I don't
think this year will be a total loss.  Got to be at an H&R Block meeting 9AM
; they ought not be scheduling this for Geminid max as there as plenty of
time around the holidays free of meteors.  Shame on them ; I get to sleep
for 2 hours now.  More later.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor