[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteors from Hydra during the Leonids

Hi Jim,

About November Hydrid, we have been known it at least 40 years before.
We call the minor shower epsilon Hydrid in Japan.  My investigation, its
activity period from Nov. 10 to Nov. 22, the velocity is rapid and the
radiat drift is as below.

  Visual                         TV
  R.A. = 131 + 1.1(Ls-240.3)     R.A. = 128 + 1.0(Ls-236.0)
  Dec. =  +4 + 0.0(Ls-241.3)     Dec. =  +9 - 0.2(Ls-236.0)

This shower is not same as Sigma Hydrid.  but, the maximum is not clear
(about middle of November.)

About this shower, I wrote it as follows.

Takema Hashimoto, 1998,
Epsilon Hydrid,
"Memoirs of the Nippon Meteor society" Vol. 6, pp. 48-51.

Clear skies,  Takema.

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999 18:39:19 -0500
"Jim Shaffer, Jr." <jshaffer@uplinkdot net> wrote:

> While watching the Leonids on November 18 at about 7:15 UTC, I saw two faint
> short meteors about a minute apart which moved toward Leo and seemed to indicate
> a radiant in or very near the head of Hydra.  Several minutes later, I saw
> another one of similar type and origin moving westward.  I remembered seeing a
> Sigma Hydrid shower mentioned on the net, but I found out that it didn't peak
> for nearly a month and had a ZHR of 3.  Is there some irregularity in the Sigma
> Hydrid stream, or some new shower that would have produced these?  I didn't see
> any more coming from that direction over the course of an hour, at which point I
> abandoned observations due to extreme cold and knowledge that the Leonids had
> peaked over Europe.
>
> --
> Jim Shaffer, Jr.;     http://woodstock.uplinkdot net/~jshaffer
> "Q:  How do you conclude a formal business letter to a cable company?
>  A:  'I spit on your billing department.'"
> -Dave Barry, 12/5/99

thashi@din.or.jp  Hashimoto, Takema
Minor Meteor Shower Circular(MMSC)