[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Okay you guys

Hi Teff,

T_eff (T sub eff) is the "effective observing time". I.e. suppose you
started observing the night sky for  meteors at 22h, you stopped at 23h.
This is 60 minutes. But: You saw 6 meteors which you plotted in a star
chart. You estimate that you spent 1 minute for a plot, which you did not
look at the sky. So you loose 6 minutes. You went to pee for 3 minutes. You
had a coffee break from 22h30m to 22h36m, so you lost another 6 minutes. In
total, Teff's Teff would be 60 min - (6 min + 3 min + 6 min) = 45 min (if I
calculated correctly in my head). This means that if you want to find your
hourly rate, you would have to consider that you really saw the 6 meteors
in 45 minutes, not in 1 hour. Per hour, you would have seen 8 meteors if
you had watched continously...

The next step, of course, is to correct for radiant altitude, limiting
magnitude, cloud factor...

Ok ;-)

dvk