[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball-1985

I thought before anymore time went by and my memory of the event becomes
more nebulous - I wanted to ask did anyone else in the NE U.S. see the
bolide I witnessed in what I believe was Sept. 85.

We are in Hampton, NH, and I was doing some minor repairs on our front
window.  It was very late afternoon, maybe 1 or 2 hours hours before sunset.
I glanced up at the edge of the roof and a meteor passed right over the
house moving directly from east to west.

With the sky still blue, the sun in the west sky, this thing was burning a
bright white with a tail of white steam or smoke and intermittent flashings
of green from the fireball itself.

I watched it move into the western sky towards the town of Exeter and lost
it in my local horizon of trees. The trail was long-enduring, like a
segmented or broken vapor-trail left behind from an aircraft. There was no
noise or report of any kind.  My first thought that a million people must
have seen it, too.  I was astonished to find that there were no news reports
at all that evening about the fireball.

Bob Jackson
---