[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids from Central Oregon

Hi all

I thought observing the Leonids in the cold was bad...well, the temperature
was just as cold for the Geminids.  Actually a little colder.  When I came
in a few minutes ago, the thermometer was reading 17 degrees.  Guess thats
why I couldn't stick it out as long as I did for the Leonids.  These 50
year old bones are telling me I am getting tooooo old for this $#@#$(%$.

My first session began at 2205 and ended at 2305.  There was a haze in the
night sky, limiting magnitude to about 3.5.  Towards the end of the
session, clouds started moving in.  Wind out of the north at about 5 mph.
Again, I had a limited view of the sky.  From the zenith to the eastern
horizon and from the Big Dipper to Sirius.  Meteors observed were as follows:

10 Geminids brighter than +1 mag
10 Geminids +1 or fainter
3  sporadics
2  highlighters...meaning they were bright enough to show through the
clouds but I couldn't see the glowing orbs.

Second session began at 2335 when the clouds started opening a little and
ended at 0055 when cold forced me in.  Conditions were the same, however
the holes in the clouds were fewer and not as long lasting.  Meteors
observed this session:

13 Geminids brighter than +1 mag
16 Geminids +1 or fainter
2  sporadics
1  highlighter
1  perfect point meteor of 0 magnitude

The point meteor was nice to see.  It was the first one I had seen since
the 1997 Perseids.

After having just looked out the window and seen it nice a clear again (for
a while), I then looked at the thermometer...18 degrees still.  I have had
enough Geminids for the night.

Hears hoping everyone else has good luck with the Geminids.  By the
way...anyone know a nice warm climate a person on a fixed income could live
and watch meteor showers?  8^)

Clear skies and tremendous bolides!

Lauren Sobkoviak
buckshot@empnet.com