[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

Hi from Texas, (where the stars are big and bright according to the song)

We had clear skies as predicted and the 'light and variable' winds were out of the south at 20 with gusts to 30. The temp was 39 deg so our wind chill was in the low 20's. We used a Ford F150 for a wind break. We did have some fast moving cirro-stratus from11:15 to about 11:45 but we used this time for setting up.
I took out a 'newbie' and he was able to do the burn plots for radiant identification. Results to come later.
He did an uninterrupted count from 12:30 to 12:45 resulting in 16 Gems and 1 non-Gem. Subjectively the rate ran from 60-90 per hour. Non-technical limiting magnitude was around 6 but we were only 12 miles west of downtown Ft. Worth so there was light polution filling in. Nevertheless, we saw several 5th mag. geminids. Among the bright ones the brightest only reached the vicinity of -2. Both of us having long days today , we retired at 1 AM. (Thin southern blood succumed to the wind chill factor).
Tom