[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Israeli Gemenids & Clouds

Hi,

Yesterday, me and two friends went out behind my house
to watch the Geminids. These were the same friends who
watched with me the Perseids this year, and they were
very excited towards this meteor shower. Since the
perseids, one of them got to see also the Leonids.

The skies were full of clouds but quickly moved on.
During the observation we had usually a big part of
the sky clear of clouds, but here and there a bigcloud
blocked our view.
The Geminids were te first meteor shower I saw. It was
2 years ago, and the sky were also full of skies,
that's why we got to see only 13 meteors in one or two
hours, but that's what hooked me up to Meteor
Observing.

We were finished setting up at 11:45. We finished
observing at 2:00 because of a big cloud that rained.
I saw 41 meteors, one of my friends saw 56 (he started
observations before me), and the last friend, slept
for a big while of the time, and observed only 14+
meteors. Most meteors were'nt so bright and slow as
expected, but we many times saw color (my friend says
he saw a PURPLE meteor!).
The perseids I believe were much nicer than the
geminids. It was summer, so it was warmer, there were
no clouds, and we got to see much more meteors, and
much brigher ones. Maybe we should of kept observing
later on, but my parents made me go to school.

My front yard is near a field of rocks, and farther on
there are a few trees. The only direct light is from
our house, but I closed all lights. So we have quite
good skies for such a place back there.

Anyway, will be waiting for next major shower. That's
it for now...

=====
Asaf Shtull-Trauring, Amateur Astronomer
http://www.maxnm.com/asaf/

The Astronomer Mailing List:
http://www.maxnm.com/asaf/astro/