[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminid lunar impacts observed? Need confirmation

Possible Geminid lunar impacts seen from Missouri and Calif.

From: SteveH8835@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:14:11 EST
Subject: Lunar Geminids
To: dunham@erols.com

Thanks Dr. Dunham,
   for keeping me posted on your
e-mail list regarding meteor hits on
the moon.  I am facinitated reading the
debate on the size of the lunar meteors
and the possible crater size.

Last night Dec. 14 UTC I saw 2 possible
Geminid hits on the lunar surface:
#1 02:54:40 UTC  Mag. about 4.5
#2 03:17:52 UTC  Mag. about 5

Geographic coord: approx: 39 44 40; 94 14 30
Sky condn CLEAR, temp 31 deg F
Limiting mag approx 7.5
ZHR (the 0300 Z hour) 30
ZHR (the 0600 Z hour) 54

This time I had my trusty shortwave receiver
on WWV to get better time hacks even though
my tape recorder died, I recorded the events
via good old pen & paper as a backup.

I would appreciate it if you or others could
confirm these events or help explain what
they might otherwise have been.

Dark skies!

Steve Hendrix
SteveH8835@aol.com