[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ham Radio Meteor Observations

Some of the hams have been making some two-way meteor scatter contacts over
relatively short distances, as befits the slow speed of Geminids (up to
1000 miles, for example). There have even been a couple of outstanding
contacts over east-west paths, which are NOT favored by the Geminids shower
but occurred anyway.

Overall, though, the general impression is very disappointing. As far as
I've heard, rocks have been so inconsistent and scarce that not many hams
bothered to try to do very much, either staying up last night or through
this morning. Activity for the Geminids has never been all that great
anyway, mainly due to the fact that north-south paths are favored. There
possibly has not been enough activity for anyone to say when a peak may
have occurred. For sure, there were more and better reflections early this
morning around 1230 UT than I usually encounter, for at least a half hour
or so. But overall, nothing that was really worth staying up all night for,
the usual practice for radio meteor scatter enthusiasts. I've also seen
very, very little comment from the European hams.

Rained last night and as with some other locations across the country, the
skies cleared for a bit just after dawn. Overcast again now and looks like
more rain later today.

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA