[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Bolide booms

This is so COINCIDENTAL.  Your point that high winds
aloft have an influence on a free-falling meteoritic
object is very much appreciated.

It just so happened that I discovered a meteorite
strewn field about this time last year, comprising
about 108 individual (fallen) fragments.  Plots of the
strewn field produce a misshapen or asymmetrical
ellipse.  But when the fragments are grouped by their
mass and individual plots are made of these groupings,
it becomes apparent that the less massive the group,
the more it is skewed from the major axis of the
strewn field ellipse.

After having ruled out post fall transportation of
smaller fragments by runoff water (not discussed
here), and after seeing the effects of high altitude
winds aloft on the persistent trains of meteors, the
effects of these winds were examined.  My paper will
argue that these winds "winnowed" the finer fragments
from the more massive free-falling fragments.  The
resultant pattern from the strewn field gives an
indication of this influence.

Once again, another example of why "you don't need a
Weatherman to know which way the wind blows".

Bob B*C