[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Great White North Geminids...

Greetings all,

In spite of nothing but cloud and rain and snow for about a week and a half
solid up here... there was some hope for last night.  We were sitting on the
western edge of the large north-south cloud system, and I was optimistic
that we might get at least some partial skies on the fringe as this shifted
eastward...

Due to the forecast, several new observers that had expressed interest in
coming out with me, decided that they weren't willing to chance questionable
skies...

So... I took off on my own, and drove west of Ottawa, to near Almonte,
Ontario, and spent the night camped out in my little truck waiting for it to
clear...  Set my alarm clock for every hour on the hour, all night long, and
woke up to check the skies...

Absolutely no luck at all.  It has now <continued> to sock in here, and we
are under a winter storm warning, high winds and blizzard conditions
expected to move in this evening...

However... I tried.  Geminids have always been my favorite shower... and I
wasn't about to give up without a struggle! ;>

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada
  Great White North