[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Joshua Tree Party

I would like to thank you Robert Lusford and Don Barnett for sharing
the Geminid viewing at Joshua Tree.  It was invaluable as an education
in meteor observing but also very intertaining.  I would like to have
gotten to know all of you better.
    I was a little surprised at how much poorer than others I was at
spotting the dimmer meteors.  Part of it of course is probably age.  My
eyes are not as good as they used to be and I am not as fast as I used
to be.  However as the evening wore on I noticed that I was doing better
and I realized that part of my problem was that I am just spoiled by
waiting for the big ones, and we had some big ones last night.  Three of
them that really excited me were the one that looked just like the
bright Leonids and it was ironic in that they passed right along the
base of Leo.  And wow!-that bright one that covered so much of the
Western sky in its long horizontal pass.  Robert! you really delivered.
Gemidids do have biggies.
    I enjoyed the children which I never really had a chance to meet
with everyone sacked out in their cots.  Their conversations were very
entertaining.  And the young ladies snoring contributed to the lively
conversation.
    Thanks again.  Robert