[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) (no subject)

TO: Bob Young
>>I wear bifocals with a sharp boundary, am slightly astigmatic in my left
eye
and a little nearsighted in by right "observing" eye.  I am thinking about
getting a pair of large framed glasses with only the distant correction just
for meteors.  What do others do about this situation?<<

I did just that after getting so frustrated with seeing a bunch of blurs
through the bottom of my progressive lens. I however, am astigmatic & greatly
nearsighted in both eyes. What a difference. Watching the GEMs was a real
pleasure--I had such a greater field of view--without having to move my head
I was able to catch so much more in the peripherial field.

The only problem these days is the style is very small glasses & I couldn't
find really large ones. Had I the time and money I think I would have found
someone to custom really large ones.  Think about rimless ones, also, there
is less distortion at the periphery. Just wish I could tolerate
contacts--that's the real answer, of course, unless you consider Lasix.

TO: Lauren Sobkoviak
>>Hears hoping everyone else has good luck with the Geminids.  By the
way...anyone know a nice warm climate a person on a fixed income could live
and watch meteor showers? <<

Yes, Mexico. Many S. CAL have taken up retirement there especially in the
southern tip of Baja. There was quite a community of Americans who had built
vacation homes for later retirement whom I met there, when I went down to
photograph the '91 total eclispe. The area is hot, hot, hot (summer 110) and
extremely dry (except for the hurricane season) so weather is a real plus.
Needless to say the light pollution is also way less than the states. There
are, however, political problems you have to deal with. But far worse is the
problem of addiction--to the food!

Cindee McCallister
Los Angeles