[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) and satellites

Only was able to detect 5 meteors (what looked like 3 Geminids and 2
Leonids) in the past 30 minutes in California at about 05:30 PST, while last
night at 04:00 PST, I was able to see them falling at a rate of 40 per hour.
  One of my science students estimated about 60 per hour fell during peak
hours of the 14th.

Although the show was not as spectacular tonight two of the five had very
short, but very persistent trails that remained for a little bit longer than
one second.  What was more spectacular was seeing three satellites all
converge less than 5 degrees northwest of Gemini.
Any news about the rates that are currently falling?  Any news about what
the show should be like in 24 hours?  Any news about probabilities for more
bright fireballs?

Thanks,
JOHN