[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Living and Meteor Viewing In the Desert

Lauren Sobkoviak would like a cheap place to retire that's nice
and warm, well, just over the mountains is a place that should offer
great LM, certainly is warm and is very, very cheap, it's called Slab
City by the local retires who live there. It's on the western shores
of the Salton Sea, more or less, is free and only requires that you
bring your own self-contained vehicle so you can have a bathroom,
water, power and shade. It's warm, a good place to practice if you've
been a bad person, 114 degrees F often in the summer, but it's cheap,
so are the mummification services, just wander away from champ for a
while and there you are!

     Just a note to finish off. Here in SoCal we have a narrow
Mediterranean climate along the coast but 50 miles east of Oceanside
is the start of the Great American Desert that's 1000 miles wide at
this point. Opportunities for excellent meteor viewing are quite good
in the mountains between the coast and desert, like Pine Valley. Once
I was going to Prescott, Arizona along HWY 78 (like a back road), but
as I neared Julian in this county I was surprised that the clouds I
was looking at turned out to be our galaxy. I've seen it many times
with good LM but never so pure as that night. I stopped my trip for a
few minutes, got out my binoculars and drank in the wondous view, but
I had just traveled 60 of 385 miles (on roads the desert is about 70
miles away) so reluctantly, on I went.

     42.5 donuts?                  Dave English
                                   Oceanside, California