[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Living and Meteor Viewing In the Desert

At 10:15 AM 12/15/1999 -0800, Dave English of Oceanside, California wrote:
>Lauren Sobkoviak would like a cheap place to retire that's nice
>and warm, well, just over the mountains is a place that should offer
>great LM, certainly is warm and is very, very cheap, it's called Slab
>City by the local retires who live there. It's on the western shores
>of the Salton Sea, more or less, is free and only requires that you
>bring your own self-contained vehicle so you can have a bathroom,
>water, power and shade. It's warm, a good place to practice if you've
>been a bad person, 114 degrees F often in the summer, but it's cheap,
>so are the mummification services, just wander away from champ for a
>while and there you are!

What is written above I take as a personal attack against me and my
character.  Never have I, that I am aware of, made any remark which would
justify such an attack.  The fact that I referred to a "warmer" area to
observe meteors, was meant as a joke relating the cold weather I have
experienced in central Oregon of late.  I will say this...very few people
on this list have observed meteors in temperatures as cold as I have in the
past.  My reference to a fixed income refers to my present state of only my
military retirement pay as my source of income.  The fact that as my age
increases, my ability to ward off the cold as easily as I did before
decreases and that I can laugh at myself doesn't, in my opinion, warrant
personal attacks.

Mr. English of Oceanside, California...I would have sent this to you
privately, but when I tried, your email address listed here came back to me
undeliverable.

I have enjoyed a lot of the discussions on this list.  I join the list
during the times of the major showers so I can read about what others are
seeing.  I may not present information about my observations in a charted,
scientifically-useful way, but I always assumed that one or two people
would like to know what was seen in other parts of the country or world.
If that is not the case, when I sign off this list shortly (Geminids are
the last shower I follow until the Perseids), I will seriously consider
reasons not to return.

For those of you who feel this is the wrong place for this, I am sorry.
But I was really offended by the statement quoted above and by those later
in the post.

Lauren Sobkoviak
buckshot@empnet.com