[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) PLEASE READ: METEOR LIST "POLICY" ON ABUSE

If as a reader of or poster to this 'meteorobs' mailing list, you ever feel
attacked, insulted or otherwise offended in any way, please *ENSURE* that
you take the following steps BEFORE posting anything to our entire list of
hundreds of subscribers worldwide regarding the problem:

1) Email the person whose post offended you, telling them politely you don't
   appreciate their post, and what remediating action if any you wish them
   to take. KEEP A COPY OF THIS EMAIL, in case step (2) becomes necessary.

2) If the response from (1) is not satisfactory, EMAIL ME PRIVATELY at the
   address 'owner-meteorobs@jovian.com', and inform me of the situation,
   and what steps if any you would wish me to take.

3) If I am unavailable for more than two days, or you are unsatisfied with
   my response (or that of one of my fellow volunteer List Administrators),
   consider carefully whether you wish to post a response to the List. If
   you choose to do so, PLEASE consider the following guidelines!

 a) THINK BEFORE YOU POST. Compose your post, then WAIT overnight before
    actually sending it to our list! This is a GREAT IDEA - consider it!

 b) AVOID PERSONAL ATTACKS OF YOUR OWN. Even if you feel your attack is
    justified by the other person's actions, keep in mind that you BOTH
    may be subject to being "moderated" and/or banned in the event of an
    inappropriate exchange via our forum.

 c) DO NOT QUOTE OTHER POSTS EXCESSIVELY. Point-by-point rebuttals are
    far more often a sure sign of an emotional response to an emotional
    attack, than they are a sign of well-reasoned, intelligent debate.

 d) KEEP COMMENTS AS FOCUSED ON THE LIST TOPIC AS POSSIBLE. An argument
    over issues of meteor observing, meteor science or related areas may
    be a valid use of our forum - even if it is heated! An argument over
    topics UNRELATED TO METEORS is quite likely to turn the busy readers
    of 'meteorobs' against both parties, and result in others calling for
    you to both be moderated, or even removed from this list for a time.

4) Of course, if you at any point feel threatened or otherwise uncomfortable
   regarding any poster to this list or their responses to you, please do NOT
   continue to correspond with them. If you do feel threatened, or feel that
   any list poster's messages would constitute an abuse of the Internet or
   breaks any laws or accepted standards of personal conduct, by all means
   CONTACT THE INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER ("ISP") USED BY THE POSTER! However,
   as a courtesy to the rest of us, make clear that that poster does NOT
   represent this 'meteorobs' list in any way, and that you are both merely
   subscribers to this amateur scientific forum by choice...

   (To contact a person's ISP, note the Domain Name contained in their email
   address: For example, for a poster "BigJerk@domain.com", the Domain Name
   is "domain.com". In such a case, send an email, quoting the *FULL* email
   from that person, and your specific complaint with that message, to the
   addresses "abuse@domain.com, postmaster@domain.com". If you get no reply
   from these addresses, try pointing your web browser at "www.domain.com":
   there you may find a contact address for that ISP firm as a whole, or
   possibly a special email address just for such "abuse" complaints.)

And by all means, try to remember this is a HOBBY, and we all CHOOSE to
be posters, readers and administrators on this forum! Clear skies to all,

Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>