[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Dec 22nd

Hi, list:

I'd like to thank Cindee for posting the article about the big, bright full
moon.  I've been getting calls about it for days.  Personally, I think it's
mostly hype, and there are some things a  group of sky watchers ought to
know before they get too excited.

It's true that the moon will appear bigger and brighter than average on
December 22.  The question is -- will it really be noticeable?

As it turns out, according to my copy of "Voyager for the Mac" software, the
apparent magnitude of the full moon on the 22nd will be -13.1.  The apparent
magnitude of the November full moon was ... -13.1.  I doubt that the
difference of less than a tenth magnitude will be detectable visually.  In
addition, according to the 1999 Astronomical Almanac, the December full moon
will only be about 4 seconds of arc larger than the November full moon,
again a difference that should not be detectable by the human eye.  I
suspect that if you had the November and December full moons in the sky side
by side, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

The full moon in May was the smallest and dimmest of 1999 because the moon
was near apogee.  Even so, it was only about 3 or 4 tenths of a magnitude
dimmer than December's full moon, and only about 4 minutes of arc smaller.
Norton's Star Atlas 2000 gives 4 arcminutes as the resolving power of the
normal human eye, so I wonder if even those differences would be noticeable,
particularly in comparison with 7 month old memories of the May full moon.
I know that some people can split the components of Epsilon Lyrae, about 2
arcminutes apart, but I'm still skeptical about the differences between full
moons being noticeable to casual observers.

It's interesting to note that a year ago, the November full moon also had an
apparent magnitude of -13.1, and was actually LARGER in apparent size than
the full moon of December 22.  I don't recall anyone even noticing it,
probably because they didn't have the power of suggestion working on them.

As for this happening only nine days before the official end of the
millennium, that period won't happen for another year.  The next millennium
won't actually start until 2001, and why the media insists on celebrating it
a year early is beyond me.

But that's even farther off topic than the full moon, so I'll shut up now
and go back to waiting for the Quadrantids.

Dave Hostetter
Curator of the Planetarium
Lafayette (LA) Natural History Museum & Planetarium