[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Dec 22nd

This is about the umpteenth time I've seen the Full Moon of December 1999
e-mail circulating through the internet and quite frankly I am getting weary
of it.
Indeed . . . it is an artifact of an article that originally appeared in the
1999 Old Farmer's Almanac by an unnamed author.  I honestly believe that they
needed to fill a couple of pages and decided to latch-on to writing about a
perigean full Moon occurring on a winter solstice.

Is this an extraordinary event?  No.  Every year, we have a full Moon that in
most cases will coincide with the most extreme perigee of the year
(occasionally in some years, the most extreme perigee will coincide with new
Moon).

Will the Moon appear extraordinarily brilliant because it is the largest (in
apparent size) and closest full Moon of the year?  Not really.  Read what Dr.
Jean Meeus, a Belgium meteorologist and renowned celestial mechanic recently
wrote of the closest/largest full Moon of the 20th century (which occurred in
1912):

"The most extreme perigee, of January 4, 1912, coincided almost exactly with
the full moon.  Moreover, the Earth was very close to its perihelion, so that
the Moon received more sunlight than under average circumstances.  Was that
full moon exceptionally bright?

"The perigee distance on that date was 356,375 km.  Let us also suppose than
an observer saw the Moon directly overhead, yielding a distance to its center
of only 349,997 km.  The Earth's distance to the Sun was 0.9832 astronomical
unit.

"Now, remembering that the mean distance of the Earth-Moon is 384,400 km. and
the Earth-Sun 1.0 a.u., and that the apparent brightness of a body varies
inversely as the square of its distance, we find that the full moon was
(384,400/349,997)2 x (1.0/0.9832)2 = 1.2478 times as bright as the "mean"
full moon.  This corresponds to an increase of only 0.24 magnitude; thus the
moonlight was not exceptionally bright."

The Old Farmer's Almanac article also notes that in areas with a snow cover:
"...your car's headlights -- may seem superfluous," and "on the night of
December 21, 1866, the Lakota Sioux staged a devastating retaliatory ambush
of soldiers in the Wyoming Territory -- perhaps planning the attack for that
bright night, whose lunar confluence was identical to this year's."

The first encourages reckless driving, with many people wanting to "try" the
strategy of turning off headlights, and the second, well I believe Dakota
Indians might have timed attacks for full moons, but I do not at the moment
believe they kept track of the exact brightness of full moons or knew of the
pattern associated with perigee cycles.

Truth be told, the only thing that makes this upcoming perigee Moon "unusual"
is its coincidence with the winter solstice.  But aside from the fact that
this is the first time this has happened since 1866 . . . there is nothing
else really noteworthy about this.   I'm sure, however, that come December
22nd, this will be at the top of the "Millennium Madness Headlines," and
everybody will be rushing outside to gawk at the "Astonishing Lunar
Coincidence" (as the Old Farmer's Almanac billed it).  We can only hope that
the media coverage will be just as enthusiastic next month when next month's
full Moon will provide North Americans and Europeans with something really
interesting to look at:  A Total Eclipse of the Moon!

By the way . . . the original article appeared in the "Old" Farmer's Almanac
(published in Dublin, New Hampshire) and not "The" Farmers' Almanac
(published in Lewiston, Maine).  Let's give dis-credit, where dis-credit is
due!

-- joe rao