[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ursids, Full Moons and LMs (was Re: (meteorobs) Re: What next?)

This is extraordinary, Bob - I had never heard of this high result of yours for
the 1993 Ursids! Looking over the IMO write-up for this shower (in last year's
"1998 IMO Meteor Shower Calendar" at "http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal98.html"),
I'd read about enhanced activity in 1988 and 1994 - but not 1993! If so, this
is a surprising and very worthwhile shower to observe.

BTW, I agree about Full Moons and deeper LMs: however, as Bob has mentioned,
this is VERY dependent on clear skies, as well as on the direction you face.
This was demonstrated for me by a meteor session I did during a total lunar
eclipse in 1996: skies were cirrusy that night (the norm for New England), and
my LMs prior to second contact skulked solidly below 4.2. However during the
totality, LM dipped as low as 6.45 during some 10-minute periods...

Without any moonlight, I would have called this an EXTRAORDINARY night for
sky-darkness, and might never have noted the presence of all that cirrus!

Lew

Follow-Ups: References: