[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coma Berenicids (was Re: (meteorobs) Okay Lew)

>This is something that I can do and seem to understand.

Amazing, huh? And so few amateur astronomers know the "meteor secret"!!

>I am looking for a little more information on the Coma Berenicids

I seem to be quoting IMO's Web site every other message this week, so I
might as well keep it up here! :) The below is from IMO's "1998 Meteor
Shower Calendar". The "COMs" were left out of 1999's Calendar, I guess
because their "peak" on 20 Dec is so affected by moonlight: but this
may well be a fairly diffuse shower, with no well-defined peak at all:

 http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal98.html#Coma-Berenicids

 "Coma Berenicids

  Active       : December 12 - January 23;
  Maximum      : December 20, (lambda = 2680),
  ZHR          = 5;
  Radiant      : alpha = 1750, delta = +250;
  Radius       : 50;
  Velocity     = 65 km/s;
  [...]
  A weak minor shower that is usually observed only during the Geminid and
  Quadrantid epochs, but which needs more coverage at other times too,
  especially to better-define its maximum. The shower is almost unobservable
  from the southern hemisphere, so northern watchers must brave the winter
  cold to improve our knowledge of it... The radiant is at a useful elevation
  from local midnight onwards."

Note the speed: 65 km/s. This is just 6 km/s slower than the speediest of
the studied showers, the Leonids - so the Coma Berenicids will seem very
fast (much faster than GEMs) and brighter COMs will often produce trains.

Also note that the ZHR is only 5: that means the theoretical MAXIMUM number
of meteors you would see from the COMs under pristine skies is a mere 7 or
so per hour! Of course normally, especially away from any "peak", observers
will see far fewer. Again, this is a shower which is worth studying because
it is SO LITTLE STUDIED, rather than because of any chance of high rates...

Clear skies, Stephanie, and welcome to "meteor fever"!

Lew

Follow-Ups: References: