[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Re: Moondog

I would think 'refraction' would be a better term (I don't know for sure),
but I've noticed that Moondogs and Sundogs generally are fuzzy rainbows
which infers refraction.
Definitely not as distinct as the regular Sun rainbow, with the Sun behind
you.
Moondogs and Sundogs have the Moon and Sun in front of you,  and the 'Dogs'
appear about 22.5 degrees to either side with very little vertical height.
About 3 weeks ago I saw two sunrise Sundogs that were a full 'fist and a
half high' in length from the horizon upwards and persisted for about 20
minutes.
They looked more like rainbows that were going to close and touch at the
top... but they didn't .  They were the brightest and most colourful I've
seen.
The colours were extremely well separated, but still fuzzy enough to not
distinguish orange, green, or violet.
Most times the Sundogs seem to me, to be tri-colour.  Red/yellow/blue .
Sorry for the long-windedness :-)
Bruce
Computer Hardware Analyst - IS/Field Services
* email:	bruce_musson@dofascodot ca
* tel: 		(905)548-7200 x2388
*  fax:		(905)548-4960