[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Reading about Meteor Observing Technique on-line!

Hi, Margaret! My wife got your son's message on Monday, but I never heard
about it till yesterday I'm afraid. Anyway, as you say, the Geminid peak
(and several days after that) was a drippy, miserable "non-event" here...

It would have been great to observe together - it's so much easier to pick
up the meteor observing techniques by observing with someone, rather than
having to read up on it and practice it entirely on your own...

Still, if you do want to learn about the technique (in time to practice it
on the Quadrantids on Jan 3/4!), I strongly recommend browsing our own Mark
Davis's excellent "North American Meteor Network Observing Guide" online:

    http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/guide.html

and making use of the fine Constellation/Magnitude Charts from Cathy Hall:

    http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/charts.html

If you're still hungry for information, try reading over the International
Meteor Organization's online "Visual Observers Page", by Rainer Arlt, at:

    http://www.imodot net/visual/

and Norm McLeod's magisterial "Suggestions for Visual Meteor Observations":

    http://www.amsmeteors.org/mcleod/mcleod1.html

If all THAT still doesn't satisfy your need to know, I'm afraid you're too
far gone to remain a "civilian" any more: You'll really have to join either
the American Meteor Society and/or the IMO, and get ahold of IMO's printed
"Handbook for Visual Meteor Observers" as well!

And of course no matter what you read or who you speak with, you can always
consider 'meteorobs' your online "Question & Answer" forum... After all, it
can be difficult to pick up the techniques when you're observing alone, so
bring your questions here, and we'll help!

Clear skies and happy reading, Margaret.

Lew