[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Views of Meteors

>I was wondering if one person sees a meteor in one part of the country,
>another person could see the same meteor in another part of the country.

Kevin, the question is a great one! Basically, you are asking how far away
two people could be from one another, and still see an event at an altitude
of 80 km (50 miles) or so: because of the curvature of the earth, the answer
is as much as 2000 km or so (1200 miles). However, this would be very rare:
if the meteor were on one person's deepest SOUTHERN horizon, it would appear
2000 km away on the other person's deepest NORTHERN horizon.

Others (like Jim Richardson) more familiar with the geometry can give you a
more detailed and definitive answer, I hope!

Take care,
Lew