[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NASA Science News: "Learning how to make a clean sweep in space"

>      http://science.nasadot gov/newhome/headlines/ast30nov99_1.htm

Lew,
With regard to the above article, the size of the particles being studied
are 1 to 3 microns, rather smaller than the size of particles that produce
naked eye meteors.  This is in the realm of the comet dust TAIL studies
which folks like Fulle and others have excelled with.

In an article in Space Industry News (SpIN), an Australian publication, I
commented on the dust TRAIL threat to satellites.  I am quoted as saying
that the solar wind affects the dust TRAIL, but I had written "solar
radiation pressure" and even corrected the comment before it went
(uncorrected) to press.  It is my understanding that the electric charge
on the larger meteoroids that produce naked eye meteors has little effect
on their orbits over the short time scale of a hundred years or so.

Cheers, Rob