[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Nov 17/18 magnitude distributions

As with most other observers, I stopped recording Leonid magnitudes when
the observed rate got over about 30/minute (I'll note the exact rate when
I go over my tape again).  There was just no time to think before another
meteor appeared.  As the rate approached 60/min (the maximum mean
rate) I felt that I was about to lose count, but with more mental effort
than I would have preferred, believe I managed to get thru the maximum
without any significant error in counting.  Occasionally I had to estimate
the numbers, as the opportunity to carefully consider what was seen was
prevented by the continual rush of more meteors.  My feeling is that a
mean rate of 100/minute could not be accurately counted and most of the
folks in Jordan agreed that the peak this year was at the limit of the
ability to count.

Actually I've read of folks in Spain making similar comments of being
at the limit during maximum, but with lower observed mean rates.  My
own experience was that approaching 60/minute, I specifically
commented that should the rates continue to increase I would be unable to
cope with the counting.  As it happened, I had pretty well decided I was
at my limit when the rates began to fall!

Khaled Tell (of the Jordanian group) told me he initially stopped
recording magnitudes due to the high rates, but started again, mindfull of
the IMO's wish to be able to derive the magnitude index during the peak.
Most commendable Khaled!

Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au