[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Views of Meteors

Kevin did ask a good question about veiwing the same meteor
from different locations.

       Robert Lunsford saw that -9 Geminid from the Joshua Tree
National Monument at 12:34 local time as it crossed Orion. I saw it
much closer, it originated near my zenith and moved nearly directly
west (275 degrees) over about 35 degrees distance. I gave it a very
conservative -6 as I didn't want to overstate and cause unwarrented
interest. I had wanted to post it as a -8 or more but with my lack of
experiance with big meteors, I wanted to rely on more experianced
observers like Robert for the correct magnitute. My first instinct
seemed right about the magnitude.

       Now about seeing the same meteor from different locations.
Robert was at least 80 miles (129 km)NNE of my location in Oceanside
and his location could easly have been 100-120 miles (160-193 km) away
depending on what part of JTNM he was at. I saw the meteor start
almost overhead and move directly toward the west and he saw it cross
Orion somewhere and more westerly. With refined information we should
be able to give a start and end altitude for this meteor if we want
but the idea is the same meteor was seen at pretty good distances
apart yet both were still high in the sky.

                         Dave English
                         Oceanside, Califoria