[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids mini storm from MBK 13/14.12.1999

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:31:14 +0000
To: meteorobs@jovian.com
From: Jure ZAKRAJSEK <elizabeta.zakrajsek@guest.arnesdot si>
Subject: Geminid's mini storm from MBK 13/14.12.1999

HiGH to all!

Me and my friend Jure Atanackov went to observe Geminids on the night 13/14!
The weather look very bad. But we decided to go! I was in Ljubljana about
150km from our observing place, becouse of the school, but the train
brought me to Maribor in time, so we colud go to Mariborska koca on
18:00UT! The cloud started to dissapear and at 19:00UT as we arived on
1080m high Mariborska koca on Pohorje the sky was onli 10% cloudy. Ofcours
we went observig meteors wright then! But the weather became worser so we
had to take a 30minutes break! But in about 30minutes the sky was clear as
never! LM reaching 7.34. I have never observed at such LM! It was great!
You cant imagine how many meteors of magnitud 5.5 and 6 beceme visibal at
this LM! As the radiant moved higher the geminid activity was biger and
biger reachig even 10 metors per minut, but not many bright geminids were
there! Ofcourse we saw 9 bolids, but the brightest was a -6 (i saw only a
flash in the sky :-((( ) the others -4 and -3 magnitud! I will remember
this years geminids becouse there were many yellow and orange geminids
aspecialy those brighter than 2 magnitude! Than there was another thing!
Many times geminids strike in grups of 3 -6 meteors in one second! This is
crazy! Then ther was the weather conditions! The sky reachin LM 7.34 The
temperature of -10 and the wind reaching 10km/h! Ofcourse clothed as a
polar bear but I was still frizing out there lying on 50cm of snow!
I mut say the gemminids are the best shower after the leonids!!!
Now here are some statistics! I havend couted it precisely but i will sand
a report soon!
Teff: 8,52h
LM: 7.19-7.34
GEM: about 650
SPO: about 200
Total: 850 meteors
The brightest was a -6 geminid
Then there were 8 other bolids!
Ofcourse my friend and I had Taperecorders! And we have everything
documented on our tapes! TAPERECORDER RULZ!

Jure ZAKRAJSEK

Clear skies

ZAKJU

sopezakr@guest.arnesdot si