Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 05:54:43 -0500
From: Mark Davis <MeteorObs@charlestondot net>
Subject: IMO Shower Circular - Geminids 1999
To: [NAMN list]

            -------------------------------------

            I M O   S h o w e r   C i r c u l a r

            -------------------------------------

                    GEMINID Activity 1999
                    =====================

Only 4 weeks after the fascinating Leonid meteor storm many observers
worldwide used the opportunity to record the maximum of the Geminids.
This shower is known for high rates lasting for several hours. Below
is a first overview of ZHRs calculated from reports received by the
IMO's Visual Commission until December 17, 1999. The rates are based
on reports of the following observers:

Jure Atanackov, Slovenia           Mike Linnolt, USA
Juan A. Aveledo, Cuba              Vladimir Lukic, USA
Neil Bone, UK                      Robert Lunsford, USA
Amol N. Chitale, India             Francisco Munhoz, Cuba
Ian W. Cooper, New Zealand         Sven Nather, Germany
Tim Cooper, South Africa           Prakash Nitsure, India
Asdai Diaz Rodriguez, Cuba         Alexei Pace, Malta
Frank Enzlein, Germany             Arvind Paranjpye, India
Yuwei Fan, P.R. China              Trevor Pendleton, UK
Sandy Ferguson, Canada             Tushar Purohit, India
Mildred Formosa, Malta             Rui Qi, P.R. China
Kai Gaarder, Norway                Jurgen Rendtel, Germany
Martin Galea, Malta                Mileny Roche Lamas, Cuba
Petros Georgopoulos, Greece        Francisco A. Rodriguez, Spain
George Gliba, USA                  Wade A. Selvig, Canada
Roberto Gorelli, Italy             Miguel A. Serra, Spain
Michal Haltruf, Czech Rep.         Umberto Mule Stagno, Malta
Sun Hao, P.R. China                Mike Stephens, Canada
Takema Hashimoto, Japan            Chensheng Sun, P.R. China
Roberto Haver, Italy               Tony Tanti, Malta
Kamil Hornoch, Czech Rep.          Gabriela Triglav, Slovenia
Richard Huziak, Canada             Mihaela Triglav, Slovenia
Rahul Jani, India                  Di Wang, P.R. China
He Jingyang, P.R. China            Xiandong Yin, P.R. China
Albert Kong, UK                    Kim Youmans, USA
Wen Kou, P.R. China                Ilkka Yrjola, Finland
Andrew Krochko, Canada             Joseph Zammit, Malta
Robert Leyland, USA
Adrian Leylen, Cuba
Dong Li, P.R. China

All ZHRs were calculated with a constant population index of r=2.6
and a zenith coefficient of gamma=1.0. We find the known activity
"plateau" between December 14, 01h UT until about 18h UT with ZHRs
of the order of 100 or above. The highest ZHRs occurred between
13 and 18h UT (at 262.20 deg solar longitude).
Previous analyses of magnitude data yielded a value of r<2.6
(approximately 2.2) especially towards the end of the mentioned
plateau. Hence some of the ZHRs, derived from observations under
poor skies will be overestimated in this preliminary summary.
This also contributes to the large scatter of the averages.
The list gives averages of all available intervals and the standard
deviation. Time and solar longitude refer to the middle of the
averaged intervals, #Int is the number of intervals averaged.

Date    Time     Sol     #   ZHR  +-
1999     UT   (2000.0)  Int
Dec 13  00.0h  260.542   2    27   5
        02.0      .608   4    45  10
        04.5      .714   7    37   8
        11.5   261.011   2    39  12
        14.5      .138   3    48  11
        17.5      .265   5    65  16
        21.0      .434  10    78  25
        23.0      .520  17    72  20
Dec 14  00.5      .562  11    86  27
        01.5      .604  11   106  23
        02.5      .646   8    95  22
        03.5      .689   8    95  24
        04.5      .731   8    90  25
        05.5      .774  10    90  24
        06.5      .816  10   110  30
        07.5      .859   9   105  40
        08.5      .901   7   100  30
        09.5      .943   8   105  35
        10.5      .985   6    95  15
        12.0   262.049   4    98   6
        14.0      .134   8   135  20
        16.0      .219  15   133  30
        18.0      .304  24   120  40
        20.5      .409  19   100  25
        23.0      .515   5    69  34
Dec 15  01.0      .600   5    60   9
        03.0      .685   3    60  15
        05.0      .769   2    44   5
        07.0      .854   2    24   7

We thank all observers who submitted their data promptly.
A detailed analysis will be prepared for a future issue of the
IMO Journal WGN. Of course, we are grateful for all further reports.

Juergen Rendtel
IMO President

December 19, 1999