[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) More on LM estimates and sources of error in ZHRs

>The REAL limit is near 8th magnitude, which most people under most conditions
>will seldom see.

This was interesting, George! I hadn't seen any of the references to that
effect... Can you maybe send them to me privately?

>What double-blind trials? I think this is hogwash!

George, please don't be so shy - we want to hear what you REALLY think! ;>
Anyway, the design of some of these experiments was as follows: they struck me
as "double-blind", but there may be flaws in them I didn't see?

Participant A selects a small (say a few degrees in diameter) area of the sky,
readily identifiable from surrounding regions, and uses the latest "visual"
photometric data (and perhaps telescopic visual views) to map all stars within
this region down to a certain magnitude, along with their brightnesses.

Participant B is then provided with explicit instructions for finding this area,
and a chart on which to sketch all stars visible by an means to the unaided eye,
within that region.

Participant C then checks B's chart against A's photometric fields, with some reasonable criteria for false positives vs. false negatives, and statistically significant numbers of stars in each magnitude class.

The process is repeated with a variety of different, randomly(?) selected sky
areas, and individuals playing the role of Participant "B".

Lew