[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dedication! (was Re: Geminids 13./14. dec, from MBK, Slovenia)

>I started at 19:10 UT, ended at 4:50 UT. In 8.86 hrs teff I saw an
>unprecedented 1117 meteors of which 837 were Geminids.

In preparation for the long "Meteor Winter" here in the Northern Hemisphere,
some of us have been picking up on more "advanced" or more theoretical topics
of discussion on 'meteorobs'. But rereading Jure A's record of his Geminid
maximum observations, I had to just stop and give PUBLIC RECOGNITION:

Spending 10 or more hours in the December cold on a weeknight, painstakingly
recording complete data on every one of over 1100 meteors, all purely in the
interests of amateur science, is something that many "professionals" would be
unwilling to do! And this is not to mention the other meteor campaigns Jure
and his fellow observers in Slovenia completed in 1999...

THANK YOU to Jure, Kim Youmans, Pierre Martin, Bob Lunsford, Mark Davis and
Cathy Hall, and all our colleagues in Germany, China and around the Globe,
for your unflagging dedication and hard work in this avocation cum science
cum passion. May you continue to inspire us in 2000 and beyond...

Clear skies and a warm, Happy Holiday Season everyone,

Lew