[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Columbian UFO and re-entry over NSW

Australian Channel 10 news this evening showed images of a UFO that was
"baffling experts".  "It wasn't on radar, but it was clearly of a fast
moving, very hot object beltching fumes", or some such words.

The video shows a "comet-like object" in the bright twilight basically
stationary with respect to the clouds: obviously an aircraft contrail.
In case someone comes back with "but it wasn't on radar", my reply would
be that the scheduled flights (of which this was no doubt one) would have
been on radar, but that nothing else unusual was.

When I got back from my travels last week, there were a host of UFO and
meteorite reports awaiting me.  My initial reaction to the meteorite
reports has to be "Why is there almost never a 'normal' meteorite fall in
Australia?".  They seem to have a remarkable fondness for smashing windows
and falling without any fireball or sonics.  The Guyra dam mystery is
perhaps the only one that might pan out, but even there, there are no
credible reports of a fireball.

The best observed event was of a bright slow moving object with a tail
preceeded by three smaller objects over central NSW on Nov 23 at 10:21 UT.
It sounded like a re-entry, so I contacted Tony Beresford who has shown
that this was the re-entry of GPS 2-14 r2 (92039C = cat# 22016).  It was
considerably brighter than Venus and some previously unrelated reports
from South Australia in the bright twilight show that the path would have
been some 1000km long.  It "extinguished" over eastern NSW and sonic booms
were heard from Bathurst.  Video was taken from WIN TV in Dubbo.  I'm
following these up to derive the height and get some idea of the "strewn
field" for fragments.

Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au