[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Point meteors and DCVs

Bob,    Mark,

  Please explain to me what you two are talking about.  What exactly is DCV? When
Bob say his DCV for all magnitudes is averaged at 25 degrees, what exactly does
that mean?
     I seemed to see about as many point meteors as Mark indicated, but once I
realized seeing them also involved reasearching satellite positions (to discount
that possibility), I began hoping that I would not  see any unless they came
straight out of known, active radiants.  Just too much additional work for a
beginner!
Kim(XY)

P.S.   I wonder if any video observations could give a percentage of Leonids that
were pointers during the storm, and I wonder if that percentage could in any way
be extrapolated to other meteors, even sporadics.  Just a pipe dream...

Robert Lunsford wrote:

> Mark and All,
>
> Two pointers in one night is quite a bonanza! I bet not many have
> witnessed that before. As for Mark's average DCV being 30-40 degrees,
> this seems quite large. Even myself, with my "fisheye" vision, have only
> an DCV average of 25 degrees for all magnitude ranges combined.
>
> Bob
>
> Mark Davis wrote:
> >
> > I see a point meteor about every 50 hours Teff or so on average. This was
> > thrown off in September 1999 when I observed two in one night! ;)  The DCV
> > has never been more than 20 degrees on them. I have only been recording DCVs
> > since 1995, so am hesitant to give an average that is written in stone, but
> > I would say 30-40 degrees is close. Note that I usually bin them in 10
> > degree increments.
> >
> > Mark Davis

Follow-Ups: References: