[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Updates to AMS Radiometeor Project pages

Hello all,

With final exams over for the semester, I have (with the support of Jim
Bedient) now completed a much needed update to the AMS Radiometeor Project
pages, which can be accessed from:

http://www.amsmeteors.org/projects.html

which has the following radiometeor links:

**  Radio Meteor Observation Techniques and References

* The Poplar Springs Radiometeor Station -- James Richardson

* A Radiometeor Audio Gallery -- James Richardson

* A Radio/Computer System For Automated Detection of Meteors -- Anthony
Mallama

"The Poplar Springs Radiometeor Station" is an HTML version of the full
10-page article which appeared in the Nov/Dec issue of the SARA journal,
Radio Astronomy.  Abstract follows:

"ABSTRACT:  The basic concepts of meteor radio scatter and its uses are
introduced, followed by a brief history of the American Meteor Society
(AMS) Radiometeor Project.  A detailed description is given of the Poplar
Springs 55.26 MHZ radiometeor receiving system, along with its associated
computer automated data collection system.  The system specifications and
examples of the graphical output are also included."

Although we are currently in the process of upgrading the old workhorse,
Apple IIe, data collection computers, this paper should still (hopefully)
be a nice introduction to the area of scientific data collection via
amateur forward scatter techniques.

"A radiometeor Audio Gallery" is a collection of sound recordings (wave
file format) of forward-scatter meteor echoes, as detected by a receiver
operating in the CW mode (VHF carrier wave reflection).  Examples are given
of all of the "classic" meteor trail echo types (underdense, overdense,
oscillating overdense, and transition), as well as two examples of the less
frequently heard meteor head echoes (one sporadic and one very nice
Leonid).  For those who have listened to these before, the 1997 Leonid head
echo is a new addition, and was one of the two analyzed in my June 1998 WGN
article with Werfried Kuneth.

In addition to the above, I also continue to distribute ASCII text copies
of AMS Bulletin No. 203, "The AMS Radiometeor Project," upon request via
email, which outlines the establishment of a radio receiver system for
passive forward-scatter work (about 50 pages).

Your feedback and comments on all of this work is welcome, and I hope that
everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.

Best regards,

     Jim

James Richardson
Department of Physics