[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nubulous, wiggly and dark meteors

The controversy about the status of dark meteors and if they are
real has a long history. Just as today there were disputes in astronomy
back in the 1800s about dark meteors and if they were real or some type
of eye artifact or a fast dark object close to the observer that
appeared as a dark meteor. I believe all three happen. I've seen a sure
dark meteor turn into a bat and eye artifacts (dark spots or lines) are
always a consideration, but magnification that gives structure resolves
many questions. I will say that without magnification, I question myself
on "dark meteor" sightings and realize that it may have been an insect,
bird(s), or eye artifact.

       One of the problems with trying to observe a dark meteor under
magnification is the nature of random chance too see one, which can
require many hours of looking at the sky with binoculars for each
sighting.  I try to move at ultra slow pan so that any object appearing
within the field of view of my binoculars will be observable, too fast
and the eyes can't focus on what is seen, including a dark meteor and
they must be distinctly seen to rate as an observation. I looked at the
area of the sky from the zenith to about 45 degrees but mostly within 20
degrees of the zenith. It takes dedicated concentration.

       For some reason skies that have light pollution seem to give
better results than really dark skies that are the normal haunts of the
more experianced meteor observers on this list. I just observe in my
yard and suffer 4.5 to 5.5 LM most of the time, but it's good for dark
meteors. However, this gives credibility to the claim that dark meteors
are just quick objects close at hand that are back lite by the lighter
skies, but I say that lighter skies gives the needed contrast enabling
the dark lines of the dark meteors to be seen, along with bats, birds
and insects too, that's why magnification of dark meteors are so
important.

        More next time.                Dave English