[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Geminids from China (Dec. 14/15 ZHUJI)

be far from radiant with too short trail and too slow speed, I usually recorded
them as SPOs.
     Let me guess, Jin, that many of these meteors you are describing were at or
near the horizon...?  My (limited) understanding
is that (a) a meteor can never have too short a trail to be associated with its
shower (but can be too long) and  (b) a meteor moving from overhead down to the
horizon will appear to slow (and dim) somewhat near the horizon.  I had exactly
the same experience during the Geminids.  I saw MANY meteors with short path
lengths near the horizon moving at, say, a speed of two (slow) but I knew that
most likely they were Geminids because they were traceable back to the radiant
and  the Geminids were at near-peak intensity. So given your other descriptions, I
would say it's safe to assume that many of your sporadics were Geminids.  It would
be good to have an experienced observer give us both his/her slant on this.
      Bob Lunsford recently reitierated the reverse for me in a posting... that a
slower meteor, when moving overhead of the observer, will appear to speed up!
      I had the same experience with the XORs that you had with the HYDs, that is,
I was not confidant enough of the radiant so I labeled potential XOR's as SPO's
and quit worrying.  As a new observer, I didn't need the added confusion.

Kim Youmans