[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Zeta Aurigids

Regarding the Zeta Aurigids, possible activity from that radiant will be
minimal, and difficult to distinguish from the sporadic background. At this
activity level, plotting is recommended, and would be a very worthwhile way
to participate in a project of monitoring these minor streams that Bob
Lunsford mentioned. If you can put up with the cold, the first few months of
the year are also good time to get some plotting experience in as rates will
be low enough so as to not seem to overwhelm an observer. In addition to the
Zeta Aurigids, there are several other minor streams suitable for plotting
that will be visible during January. So if you have never ploted meteors
before, it is also a good time to give it a try.

Kevin is correct that we normally report these as sporadics, recording their
possible shower membership in the "comments" or "notes" section. This way,
these minor streams can be kept track of just in case....

Some folks have been using the charts located at our webpage for plotting,
which is perfectly fine for practice. When ready to record plots to be
archived, an observer should switch to the BRNO charts that are used by the
International Meteor Organization. A complete set can be ordered from Bob
Lunsford for $4.00 (I believe this is still the price). Not bad for
some star charts.... ;)

Happy Holidays!

Mark Davis