[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Israel's big moon

I feel I have to say something myself. Although I doubt, there may have been some visible
difference in the size of the Moon. Although I consider myself medium experienced planetary observer I often neglect Moon, for obvious reasons. So, I don't say that the difference in size was not observable, although I believe, Asaf, that most of the difference in size was psychological.
As for the brightness, I'd say it was just as bright as always and that the observed brightness increase was psychological. Telling 0.5 magnitude difference at -12 magnitude is very tricky and judging the Moon's apparent brightness could be affected by haze. And sometimes, we see what we want to see...

Another thing, Asaf. Although the Moon was in perigee at the time of being full, I think it doesn't mean that it is never as big as it was. The diameter at perigee is more or less the same, so the Moon is just as big at other perigees, just the phase is different. Speaking from personal experience, I've been in serious amateur astronomy since 1994, when I got my first telescope. Of
course my first sweetheart was the Moon, and I've made many observations. I think I have a reasonable amount of experience observing the full moon and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the wednesday's full moon or any other full moon. Did anyone do any calculation of the apparent size of the moon?
Anyway, my final thought. It is good to have some observers pro some anti. After all, what would happen if anyone would believe Percival Lowell's Martian canals? :)

As Lew would probably intervene here, saying this is way off topic, I suggest we drop the subject and believe in what each one of us saw. Jure and Asaf, shake hands and be friends :)

Clear skies and good luck in 2000 !!

Jure A.