[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors in 1999

Hi to all of you. This is probably the last post of mine for this year and I just wanted to sumarise
what 1999 was like? First the more formal stuff - in 1999 I totalled 93.9 hours teff and 2495 meteors. This has by far been the most successful year by now. It could have been better...
In 1999 I saw only one major shower peak - the Geminids, all others were clouded out. Perseids were also very active one night after the peak, so that too, along with the Geminid peak was a memorable night. 1999 produced only 16 fireballs, I'm a bit disappointed about that, but then again, one of those was a stunning -15 sporadic fireball, seen on June 2. By far the biggest disappointment were the Leonids. I cannot describe the feeling of despair, when you know that a storm is happening right over your head but you cannot se it. During the night November 17/18 I (and all my colleagues) were under a thick cloud cover extending for hundreds of kilometers in all directions. I hope the weather will treat us better for the Leonids of 2000, wherever we may observe them...

Clear skies and a happy new year to all of you!

Jure Atanackov