[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Suspected Meteorite Sparks Fire" event, 12-26-99, Louisiana...

It's been said before so I'll be brief - I highly doubt that an incoming
meteorite caused a grass fire. Too many miles of free fall for it to be that
hot. Read "Rocks from Space" by Norton.

Kevin K

          Eyewitnesses claim pieces of it fell in marsh, started
          large marsh grass fire. Sheriff's deputies from LaFourch
          Parish investigate, find "burn area" in marsh, but
          no meteorite fragments. New Orleans airport had no
          radar trace of alleged meteor; also, no aircraft in
          specified area at the time.

               <snip>>